Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Today I made an Obama Supporter Cry

I am ashamed to say that today I made an Obama supporter cry. I'm not proud of it. But, I confess: I was getting a little irritated with her and I guess deep down I must have awakened my bad mean self. Let me tell you why.

We're sitting around a round table in the student lunch break. She came in wearing an Obama shirt, and I found that detail amusing because just last week she claimed that she was a Republican. Today, she had changed her mind. So I laughed and she wanted to know if it had anything to do with her shirt. From then on, she tried to defend her decision, with which I was fine. Until she decided to attack John McCain's proposed tax policy and purported that Obama is right to spread the wealth around, after all don't we all want to help people? Well, I'm okay with helping people, and I always do, but I'd rather do it my way than have someone tell me how to do it marginally more than I am required to already. So I try to logically demonstrate why any upward change of the marginal tax rate is a bad idea, but she won't budge. So I asked her if she would be upset if her tax withholdings increased and tax deductions decreased? Imagine my surprise when she told me that she doesn't work, nor has she ever! What the hell? I guess she is okay to have her parents' and our tax money get redistributed at a proportionally higher rate than before?

Did she stop there? Nope. She had the gal to complain about McCain's proposed health care credit and de-regulation of the health insurance industry. I guess we don't care for sick people who cannot afford their medication. Somehow Obama is going to force pharmaceutical companies to absorb the majority of the research costs and retail. Right! We conservatives are such heartless people.

When she complained that McCain is too old and if elected he might just pass away I had had enough. So I remarked that the voting age needs to be increased to 21 to avoid having a percentage of the eligible voters who are so gullible and idealistic they would vote 50Cent in office. Yeah, she took offense to this, got visibly upset and started crying. Everyone around me started complaining that my comments were out of line, considering many 18-21 year olds serve in the armed forces and thus have earned the right to vote. I concede the point, so I'll compromise here to propose that the minimum voting age be changed to 21, except for those who are serving in the armed forces. How can we have a prosperous society when we have these college aged kids who have been told that they are unique and entitled to an opinion. I was 18-21 and I admit I was idealistic, stupid, and irresponsible. Ugh!

No comments: